The Peter and Paul fortress located in St. Petersburg, Russia, was originally constructed in wood in 1704 and was later rebuilt in stone. The fortress contains several buildings surrounding the Peter and Paul Cathedral, which is located in the middle of the fortress. The cathedral was commissioned by Peter the Great, and interestingly enough, its design rejects the traditional architecture of a Russian church. Today, the fortress is one of St. Petersburg’s major tourist attractions and has become a symbol of the city.
For more information on the Peter and Paul Fortress, please visit: www.Saint-Petersburg.com